The prehistoric settlement of Phylakopi, one of the most
important of the Late Bronze Age in Greece and the most significant of Milos,
was built on the peninsula of Plaka, a short distance from the port of Apollonia.
Excavated in the 1970s by the British Archaeological School at Athens, led by
Colin Renfrew. A big part of the ancient city now lies under the sea.
The history of the settlement is divided into three different construction
phases. The first (2300-2000 BC) where the buildings occupied the
position of an insignificant earlier settlement is characterized by homes
with two or more rooms. The walls were made of stone and internally coloured,
and there are no traces of fortifications. The ceramics of this period was
handmade with engraved decoration and rarely written.
The houses of the second phase (2000-1550 BC) were also made of stone,
but better built with walls decorated and with frescoes inside. The use of lead
and copper was frequent , while the ceramic was almost exclusively wheeled. The
engraved decoration was replaced by naturalistic painting subjects. This city
was surrounded by strong walls.
The third phase (1550-1100 BC) is mainly characterized by the gradual
predominance of the Mycenaean pottery. The Mycenaean elements are highlighted by
the existence of a palace style building. The settlement was surrounded by
strong walls, but declined very quickly, probably due to an invasion. It should
be noted that the facts show that Phylakopi should not be affected by the
eruption of the volcano of Santorini around 1500 BC.
The importance of the coastal village of
Phylakopi, one of the most important prehistoric settlements in
Cyclades, is explained by the fact that this location, with
almost continuous inhabitance throughout the Bronze Age (ie from
the half of the 3rd millennium BC until the 12th century BC),
and plenty of architectural and artistic findings, is an
important basis for the verification of the creation, the growth
and the development of the prehistoric culture in Cyclades. The
findings from the excavations are now kept at the Archaeological
Museum of Milos and the National Archaeological Museum of